Well, obviously this is not cheese, but it sure looks a lot like it! It is a healthier way to have some mac and cheese, and I´m pretty sure you´ll enjoy it. This is a veeeeeery easy recipe and you can change some of the spices If you like.
- 1 cup of peeled / or not – yellow potatoes
- ¼ cup peeled and diced carrots
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup water ( use liquid from pot of boiled veggies)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup coconut milk / soy milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (this helps giving a nutty taste and vitamin B12 !)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (or more)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper / black pepper
- Cook your macaroni al dente, drain, and set aside.
- Bring several cups of water to boil in a small pot. Place the chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion in the boiling water, and cook for about 12 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend.
- When veggies are soft enough to blend, place them in your blender. Add ¾ cup of that cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a dish of your choice, taste for salt, and serve immediately. TA DA !